Saturday, December 31, 2005

Make Mouse Scroll Wheel Work


I just made my PS/2 mouse scroll wheel work again in SUSE Linux 10.0. Who would have thought the correct protocol name should be imps/2? The protocol change does not take effect until the system is restarted, so the testing immediately after the switch is meaningless. Despite all the wonderful features in the latest SUSE Linux version, there are still some quirks I have picked up so far.
  1. My 16X DVD-ROM drive is treated as a CD-ROM drive such that no DVD can be read. I need to painfully do a switcheroo with a Plextor DVD drive during the initial system setup.
  2. By switching the USB and PS/2 mice after the initial system setup, I lost the correct setup for the PS/2 mouse. Hence I endured the annoyance of the loss of scroll wheel function until I figured out what protocol I need to choose.
  3. A sudden loss of OpenGL function due to some incompatible system packages (although I never figured out the real cause). The solution is to re-install the Nvidia video driver.
  4. Eclipse (3.1 and 3.2) will somehow become unstable and finally cannot start on the 64 bit JVM provided by SUSE, but it manages to work under the latest JVM 1.5.0 update 6 directly from Sun.

No comments:

Skiing at Winter Park