Saturday, March 05, 2005

Eclipse

I found Borland JBuilder become quite sluggish as I move on to the version of JBuilder 2005. Since I have been reading high praise on Eclipse for some time, I finally decided to give it a try. After I loaded the download page of www.eclipse.org, somehow it smartly detected I was using HP-UX and let me download the HP-UX version of Eclipse Platform SDK 3.0. This version just launched without any problem as it detected the path of installed HP Java VM. At this point, I was very impressed since nothing worked in HP-UX so naturally before. This is a whole new experience!!

The interface is of motif theme that seems outdated, but, again, it is a HP-UX version. I will need a windows version for a fair comparison. The perspective, in my opinion, is a pretty good idea. It let you switch around different arrangements of the panels for each specific task. Switching over from JBuilder is not easy since it also has many merits and I am very accustomed to it. I will explore other notable features of Eclipse after I have accumulated more play time.

No comments:

Skiing at Winter Park