Thursday, February 03, 2005

Hurricane is gone

Hurricane is gone! It might sound good to most people. But for the people who have been working on the Hurricane engine program for over a year, the news is just a blow to them. I don't actually hear people expressing their frustration, but I just feel it in the air. The reason of canceling the program is Ford is not going to meet the CAFE restriction due to the poor fuel economy of this engine. Duh!? Isn't it just obvious from the very beginning? I was surprised when I heard this engine program is a GO. It is a backward thinking to compete with the pushrod engines from GM and Chrysler. The decision making of the senior management is plain ridiculous. Somebody please conduct a Six Sigma project to eliminate the senior management to cut cost ...

The related mid-range diesel program got canceled too since it shares the bottom end with Hurricane. Nonetheless, diesel engines are still a correct direction to pursue. I think the program should be revived but with a smaller displacement. There is more advanced technology coming with the diesel engine package, in which the know-how should be brought into V-engine.

There is no denying that the brutal competition of truck market demands more horsepower. High revving and advanced VVT can provide horsepower but not low-speed torque. Are we going to bring back the supercharger to the 5.4 L?

2 comments:

CYC said...

After viewing your complaint myself, I feel that it really reflect your personallity. If I don't feel right, then I will probably use strong words like I care. But you will explain your reason in a nice way, and still let them feel your objections.

I don't think you can still change their mind, but it would be better to spread it out to higher level to let Ford has more competitive.

Yung-Chang Tan said...

Now it's back with a new name - Boss. The 5.4L 3V lost its competitive edge almost immediately after it is released. I think F-150 now needs a upgrade (a competitive engine) and it had better happen really soon.

Skiing at Winter Park